The “Digital Twin Spark-Swirl induction” system is what DTS Si stands for. The unique “DTS Si” (Digital Twin Spark-Swirl induction) technology is found in some Bajaj motorcycle engines. According to Bajaj Auto, the new engine with swirl induction provides higher mileage than other 100cc motorcycles do under ideal (standard) test conditions
The DTS Si technology was entirely created and developed internally by Bajaj Auto’s R&D. According to the manufacturer, it is the most fuel-efficient motorcycle engine in India. It goes on to say that this engine provides the greatest of both worlds. That is the 125cc bike’s performance averaged with a 100cc motorcycle.
Swirl Induction: What Is It?
The DTS-i platform is the foundation for Digital Twin Spark–Swirl induction, or DTS Si technology. DTS-i provides a quick pace of combustion. Bajaj R&D discovered that the two plugs enable short combustion when burning a lean air-fuel mixture. Nonetheless, there is still room to enhance the combustion quality at low loads.
The concentration and quality of the air-fuel mixture typically differ from one section of the combustion chamber to the next under these circumstances. Under situations of a lean air-fuel mixture, however, the efficiency of combustion is further enhanced by producing a high level of turbulence inside the combustion chamber.
Bajaj R&D claims that a low-turbulence combustion chamber disperses the flame in a manner akin to a balloon gradually filling up. The rate of combustion is slowed as a result. It also gradually increases the pressure. Thus, it leads to decreased efficiency.
High turbulence during combustion causes the inflated flame’s surface to break apart. It increases the surface area and takes on the appearance of projections like fingers. It enhances combustion even more.
The Port Configuration
Because of their shape, conventional engines with straight ports cannot produce significant swirl values. To increase swirl or turbulence, the port arrangement must encourage this process. Bajaj engineers optimized the performance. They achieved this by building offset ports that provide the necessary swirl level. The air-fuel mixture in the combustion chamber swirls and turbulence quite much due to the offset location of the apertures.
More recent engines incorporate this technique. It causes the incoming charge’s swirling motion. As a result, during intake and compression strokes, it produces turbulence. As a result, the air-fuel mixture is thoroughly mixed. Furthermore, it disperses the mixture throughout the combustion chamber.
The compressed air-fuel mixture is turbulent, and the two spark plugs generate the sparks needed to ignite it. A flame front with a high surface area results from this. Rapid burning causes pressure to rise quickly. As a result, DTS-i and Swirl induction work together to produce rapid combustion and improved efficiency.
The DTS-i Engine’s Primary Features
- Excellent balance and a cozy little design.
- High power per unit.
- An integrated fuel injection system and twin spark electronic ignition are combined.
- Electromagnetic digital ignition.
- Each cylinder has two plugs and two distributors for ignition.
Benefits Of The DTS-i Engine
- Engine parts last a long time since they are not worn out. This translates to lower costs for replacing parts like valve stems and piston rings. Using two-wheeler financing makes purchasing a bike with a DTSi engine simple.
- Reduced noise and vibrations on the bike mean improved control and comfort. Compared to most other bikes, the DTSi engine provides a smoother ride.
- Because of the DTSi technology, it uses less fuel specifically and gets more excellent mileage than other bikes.
- You may take extended journeys without experiencing any discomfort because the engine doesn’t overheat.
- The engine has better thermal efficiency.
- Because of its greater power, it can support heavier loads.
- Because of the high compression ratio, the engine will start readily in cold weather, winter, low temperatures, and other situations. This guarantees that you won’t have to worry about your bike breaking down in winter.
- Due to the increased effort the twin spark technique puts on the piston, instantaneous fuel combustion and greater flame diameter result in better work production.
- Improved and increased throttle responsiveness.
- Robust and resilient to malfunctions and temperature changes, it’s a reliable, strong bike for commuting.
You may have robust bikes that are still fuel-efficient with DTSi engines. They are more environmentally friendly than conventional engines and reduce dangerous fuel emissions. Even more advanced technology exists in DTS-SI, a version with angled spark plugs for improved power and fuel efficiency during combustion.