Latest Post

Suzuki V-Strom 800DE Accessories Unveiled: Elevating Adventure Riding to New Heights Hero Mavrick 440 on Road Prices in Top Cities of India
Vehicle Registration Transfer

A few formalities still need to be completed, even though selling cars has gotten easier over time thanks to online platforms connecting buyers and sellers.

The modification of the owner’s name on the vehicle registration certificate is one of the most important of them. The name on your vehicle’s registration certificate will change if you give it to someone else.

Transfer Of A Vehicle’s Registration: What Does It Mean?

The law requires you to transfer ownership of your vehicle to the buyer’s name when you sell your vehicle registered in your name. This procedure, often referred to as an RC transfer, is essential since it guarantees that the vehicle and all of its legal obligations are passed on to the new owner. Transferring a vehicle registration from one person to another requires adhering to a specific process. But wait!

There are various situations in which this vehicle remote control transfer could occur. The table that follows provides examples of these:

Transfer if a different person buys the vehicle.In this case, the vehicle’s prior owner is replaced with the name of the new purchase on RC.
Transfer if the registered owner passes away.Within 30 days of the owner’s passing, the legal heir is required to notify the registering authorities of their intention regarding the car. The legal heir may use the vehicle for a maximum of three months without being registered in their name.
Vehicle transfer through an auction.The new owner replaces the old owner’s name on the registration certificate during an auction.

Types of Vehicle Registration Transfer

There are two types of vehicle registration transfers:

  • Vehicle registration transfers within a state.
  • Transfer of a vehicle’s registration across states.

Let’s understand each type, including the documents required to transfer the vehicle.

1. Vehicle Registration Transfers: Within The State

If Another Person Buys The Vehicle

  • If you are transferring the registration of your vehicle because someone else bought it, you must submit Form 29 along with the transferor and transferee’s information.
  • The appropriate registering authority in the region where the transferor and the transferee reside must receive this Form 29.
  • In addition, the transferee has 14 days after the vehicle is transferred to file Form 30 together with all necessary paperwork under Form 1.
  • Additionally, the transferee is required to pay all applicable fees assessed by the registration authorities by Central Motor Vehicle Rules Rule 81.

Also, know, Bike Ownership Transfer: Process, Cost, and Documents Required

Documents Needed To Transfer A Vehicle

A. If You Sell The Vehicle To A New Owner

The following are the main documents that must be submitted:

  • Application form (also known as Form 29)
  • Form 30
  • Form 1.

The list of documents that must be provided with Form 1 is as follows:

  • The current registration certificate for the vehicle.
  • Auto insurance coverage.
  • PUC certification.
  • Form 60 and the new buyer’s PAN card.
  • Engine and chassis specifications of the car.
  • Evidence of age for the car’s owner.
  • Provide proof of the car’s ownership.
  • Proof of the vehicle registration certificate.
  • Commitment made by the new purchaser.
  • Owner’s photos in passport size.
  • Evidence that the vehicle’s taxes have been paid

In this instance, if ownership of the vehicle is being transferred outside the state, the transferee must file Form 30 together with the documentation listed in Form 1 within 45 days of the transfer.

Additionally, the transferee will need to turn in all of the following paperwork on Form 2:

  • A No Objection Certificate that was issued by the relevant authorities.
  • The transferee will need to present a document outlining the reason for the denial if the registering authority declines to give an NOC.
  • If you, as the owner of the vehicle, have not obtained the NOC from the relevant authority, you will need to present the following documentation as evidence of your lack of receipt: a) A registration authority receipt. b) The post office receipt confirming receipt of the NOC from the relevant registering body.

B. If The Vehicle’s Owner Has Passed Away

  • The new owner of the vehicle must complete Form 31 and submit it to the registration authority if the prior owner passes away.
  • Within three months of assuming possession of the vehicle, the new owner must complete the ownership transfer form.
  • As required by the registering authorities and by Central Motor Vehicles Rules Rule 81, the new buyer shall pay all necessary charges.

Documents Needed To Transfer A Vehicle

The list of paperwork that must be filed if the owner of the vehicle passes away is as follows:

  • Form 31.
  • Existing registration certificate.
  • Vehicle insurance policy certificate.
  • Death certificate of the deceased owner.
  • PAN card of the new owner with Form 60.
  • PUC certificate.
  • Vehicle’s engine and chassis print.
  • Proof of the new owner’s age.
  • Address proof of new owner.
  • Certificate of Vehicle Registration.
  • The new owner’s passport-sized photo.
  • Document proving the new owner’s relationship to the departed person.
  • The name and signature of the person who sold the vehicle.
  • Form 20 has vehicle verification details on it.

C. If A Vehicle Is Bought At An Auction

If the concerned vehicle is bought at a Central or State Government-sponsored auction, Form 32 must be used to document ownership transfer. Within 30 days of the vehicle’s acquisition, this paperwork must be turned in to the appropriate registering authority.

The buyer of the vehicle is required under Central Motor Vehicles Rules Rule 81 to pay all applicable fees assessed by the registering authorities.

Documents Required For Submission

To transfer ownership of a vehicle at an auction, the following documents must be submitted:

  • Form 32.
  • Certificate of registration.
  • Certificate of insurance (comprehensive or third-party).
  • PUC certification.
  • The new owner’s PAN card and Form 60.
  • Vehicle engine and chassis prints.
  • proof of the new owner’s age.
  • Address proof of the new owner.
  • The RC book for the vehicle.
  • The new buyer’s undertaking.
  • Passport-sized photos.
  • A document attesting to the vehicle’s tax clearance.
  • Document attesting to the fact that the vehicle was acquired by the new owner at an auction run by the federal or state governments.
  • A certificate attesting to the fact that the state or federal governments conducted the auction.

These were the guidelines for state-wide vehicle registration transfers.

Also know the documents Required for a Two Wheeler Loan

2. Vehicle Registration Transfers: From One State To Another

Now, let’s examine the procedure for moving a vehicle’s registration from one state to another. If you are relocating from one state to another, you must adhere to this procedure. For instance, you would have to re-register the vehicle in the new city if you were moving from Mumbai to Delhi.

Furthermore, before you receive a No-Objection Certificate from the city where your vehicle was first registered, you must finish this process. To finalize the registration transfer of your vehicle, you must adhere to the steps listed below:

Step 1: If you have taken out a loan, get the no-obligation certificate from the bank

First, you must get an NOC from your bank if you have a vehicle loan. You will need to visit the bank and turn in paperwork for this, such as evidence of your new city address and the purpose of the transfer. After reviewing your request, the bank will issue you the NOC.

Step 2: Get an NOC from The Regional Transport Office Where The Vehicle Was Registered

You must receive the NOC from your RTO after receiving the lender’s NOC. For example, you will need to get the NOC from the Mumbai RTO if you are traveling from Mumbai to Delhi. You must submit Forms 27 and 28 along with the copy of your NOC that you got from your bank to do this.

Additionally, you must supply the following documents:

  • The NOC application is required when moving your vehicle from one state to another.
  • Records such as PUC certificates, insurance policy documents, tax records, and registration certificates.
  • Chassis mark left by the vehicle.
  • Copies of Form 28 CMV.

You can transfer your vehicle’s registration from your current state to the new one once you have received the NOC from your RTO.

Step 3: Re-register Your Vehicle in New City

Following a successful transfer, you must take the necessary actions to get your vehicle re-registered in the new state. The majority of the nation’s Regional Transport Offices give owners six months to complete the registration process. Before registering, find the RTO office that is closest to you and submit the required paperwork with your application.

  • Your first copy of RC.
  • a copy of your auto insurance policy.
  • A copy of the No Objection Certificates you possess from your lender, prior RTO, and so forth.
  • Forms 29 and 30 are needed to re-register your vehicle.
  • A certificate proving that you’ve done emissions tests.
  • passport-sized photos.
  • Proof of local address.
  • Relevant RTO fees for vehicle transfers.

 Your RTO will process your application and issue you with a new certification within a few days of successfully submitting the paperwork.

Also know, what documents are required while buying a two-wheeler

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *