With its outstanding services, Indian Railways has consistently improved and eased the lives of its citizens. Not only does it assist in bridging the distances of thousands of kilometers and miles between your loved ones, but it also aids in safely transporting your possessions from one location to another.
It is now easy and safe for people to relocate anywhere in the country. They can transport their two-wheelers by train thanks to its convenient and quality service. Everyone who wants their bikes transferred to another city can do it more easily. This is thanks to Indian Railways’ explicit instructions on how to use this service.
Here is a simple guide to moving bikes by train. This guide will help you understand the steps and regulations to follow when contacting the rail authorities in Delhi, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Pune, or any other nationwide city.
How To Transport A Bike On The Indian Railways?
In India, there are two ways to transport a two-wheeler by train: as a parcel or as luggage.
- You can choose parcel service if you send the bike to be picked up by someone else or later at another station.
- You can transport it as luggage if you are taking the same train.
Guide For Carrying A Bike On A Train
The quickest way to transport your two-wheeler is as luggage. Make sure to grab your bike as soon as the train pulls into the station at your destination. The steps for moving a motorbike as luggage are as follows.
- STEP 1: Due to the time involved in packing, emptying the petrol tank, and labeling the motorcycle, arrive at the railway luggage booking office at least 2-3 hours before your train is scheduled to depart.
- STEP 2: Take copies of all pertinent documents, including the RC for the bike, an ID, and the ticket, to the luggage booking office at the railroad station.
- STEP 3: Fill out the luggage booking form with all the necessary information and make payment for the services.
- STEP 4: Hire pros to pack your bike.
- STEP 5: Carry your train ticket endorsement and the paperwork for your luggage reservation.
- STEP 6: Present your train ticket and the confirmation of your luggage booking when you reach the destination station.
- STEP 7: The authorities will issue a shipment or delivery receipt.
- STEP 8: Take your bike out of the allocated train car.
Guide For Transporting Bikes By Train As Parcel
Using a bike delivery service might be substantially less expensive than sending a bike as checked luggage on the train. Making advance bike package service reservations will ensure delivery to the destination station in 5-7 days.
- STEP 1: Visit the parcel office on the day of your relocation or the day before you move your bike. Bring the necessary documentation to make a reservation.
- STEP 2: Either hire specialists to wrap your bike or do it yourself professionally.
- STEP 3: Complete the bike parcel form with the required details, such as the bike’s engine and chassis numbers, and then submit the money. Gather the booking or waybill receipt for the package.
- STEP 4: Write the booking receipt number to make it easier to identify the bike when it is delivered.
- Step 5: The rail officials will decide which train to transport the bike. Therefore, check with the parcel office to confirm the delivery date and time before you leave.
- STEP 6: Pick up your bike within 48 hours of being moved to the warehouse of the railway authority. They will impose additional fees if the delay lasts longer than 48 hours.
- STEP 7: Before you go to pick up the bike, carry the parcel booking receipt. For quick pickup, look for the bike’s receipt number.
Important Documents Needed For Train Transportation Of Two-Wheelers
Before bringing your bike on a train as luggage or a package, you must be prepared with a few relevant papers. You can find a list of the necessary documents below.
- Booking Ticket (if you choose the luggage option)
- Photocopies of the bike’s registration and insurance documents.
- Government-issued identification documents such as an Aadhaar card, a driver’s license, a voter ID card, a passport, etc.
Timings For The Indian Railway Parcel Booking Office
Due to their availability around the clock, you may plan luggage bike transportation anytime and parcel bike transportation between 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
Charges For Bike Transportation By Indian Railway
- Depending on the quality of the materials used for packing, the cost of packing might range from Rs 300 to Rs 1000.
- The delivery cost depends on how heavy the bike is and how far they must transport it.
- The cost of insurance is based on the bike’s value. Bike transport price declarations up to Rs 10,000 are exempt from additional fees. The insurance cost will be 3% of the bike’s stated value.
Factors Affecting The Cost Of Bike Transportation By Train
- Travel Time
- The bike’s weight
Indian Railway’s Bike Transport Regulations
- Make sure the tank is empty before transporting your bike by train. You can break this rule with a fine of Rs. 1000.
- The rail authorities will cover loss or damage based on the declared worth of your bike if it is lost or damaged in a train accident.
- You must enter the engine and chassis numbers of the motorcycle on the packing form since They will check them upon delivery.
- The rail authorities can also deliver parcels to the nearest train station. You can pick up your bike if you forget to unload and collect your bike at the final station.
Tips For Preparing To Transport Your Bike By Train
- Carry the bike to the train station early to avoid last-minute stress.
- Take the bike’s mirrors apart and pack them separately.
- Keep any necessary paperwork close at hand.
- Schedule the delivery of your package at least a day or two in advance.
- You cannot send helmets, other accessories, and a motorcycle in a container.
- Don’t turn off the ignition while still holding the key.
You may now enjoy quick and dependable bike transportation services, even for longer distances, thanks to the Indian railways’ extensive national network. Railways have affordable prices and extensive networks, so as a result of their effective services, trains can now help you with your moving efforts. These services also allow you to send your bike as a packet or piece of luggage, thanks to bike parcel services.